Tomato season is ramping up in Columbus, Ohio and it’s the perfect time to enjoy the delicious fruits of summer. Tomatoes are the epitome of summer, and you can use them in salads, pasta, and salsas.
Caprese salad using local tomatoes ripened on the vine is one of the most delectable dishes you can make right at home. It’s so easy to prepare.
Local heirloom tomatoes topped with a big slice of burrata or fresh mozzarella and fresh basil pesto, drizzled with balsamic vinegar makes for one of the most remarkable caprese salads ever.
- 3 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 2 cloves of crushed/minced and peeled garlic
- 1 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for 15-30 seconds.
- You may need to take breaks during the blending to scoop all the ingredients down towards the blades (you can use a rubber spatula)
- Basil pesto
- 15 year aged balsamic vinegar
- Large heirloom tomatoes
- Burrata mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Coarse sea salt (to taste)
- crushed black pepper (to taste)
- Slice tomatoes and arrange on platter.
- Top with burrata or fresh mozzarella.
- Drizzle the pesto and balsamic vinegar on the tomatoes and burrata to taste.